Hong Kong is home to some of the world’s top universities. With Hong Kong being a global economic power, it’s no surprise the Special Administrative Region of China is home to universities that hone the minds of the region’s top college students.
With English taught in class in most of the programmes of these universities, international students are also a big part of the student population in these top schools.
And so without further ado, let’s begin our list of 5 of the best universities in Hong Kong:
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Abbreviated as HKUST, the university was founded in 1991 and is a public research university. In the 2021 QS World University Rankings, HKUST ranked 2nd best in Hong Kong and 27th place in the world. In 2019, the university ranked 1st in the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings and 2nd by the QS World Under 50 Universities in 2020. HKUST consists of 4 main academic schools, which offer programmes in social science, humanities, engineering, business, management, and Interdisciplinary programmes.HKUST is known for their strong mentorship programs
2. University of Hong Kong The University of Hong Kong was founded in 1911 and ranked 4th in Asia and 35th globally by THE. Its QS ranking is 22nd among all universities worldwide. It is also a public research university, and its origins trace back to the Hong Kong College of Medicine for Chinese, founded in 1887. The university was also the first university established by the British in East Asia.
English is the main language of instruction and the school has been regarded as one of the best internationalized universities anywhere in the world. Its programmes rank highly in the fields of business, sciences, biomedicine, linguistics, law, economics, business administration, education, and social administration among others.
3. The Chinese University of Hong Kong The Chinese University of Hong Kong is a public research university and was originally established in 1963. It is Hong Kong’s 2nd oldest university and was founded as a federation of 3 colleges.
The university is known for having had 4 Nobel laureates associated with the institution, and it is the only university in Hong Kong with sitting faculty in residence who are recipients of the Nobel Prize, the Veblen Prize, Turin Award, and the Field Medal.
A total of 9 colleges and 8 academic facilities consist in the university, with the language of instruction both in English and Chinese, with English being the more dominant language used.
4. City University of Hong Kong Abbreviated as CUHK, the university was established in 1984 and formally founded as City Polytechnic of Hong Kong. It is located in Kowloon and was duly accredited as a university in 1994.
The school’s urban campus is connected to Festival Walk Shopping Centre and Kowloon Town Station. With 9 main schools, CUHK offers courses in the following fields: science, business, law, social sciences, liberal arts, engineering, and veterinary medicine.
5. The Hong Kong Polytechnic University Also known as PolyU, it is a public research university and is one of the 8 government-funded degree-granting universities in the territory. It was founded in 1937 and granted university status in 1994. It ranked 75th worldwide by the QS World University Rankings in 2021, and 25th in Asia by THE in 2020.
There are over 160 programmes offered in PolyU, with over 25,800 students in attendance each year, making it the largest public tertiary university in terms of the student population. There are 8 faculties and schools in PolyU, which are programmes that cover business, science, health, environment, construction, engineering, design, and hotel and tourism manager.
There you have it, 5 of the best universities in Hong Kong every aspiring college student should apply to. With a city that’s bustling as Hong Kong and universities that are some of the best in Asia and around the world, the territory’s universities are a breeding ground for some of the world’s best minds.